Sunday, April 17, 2016

Yarra Vally Part 3-Killara

Hello
The last vineyard I went to was Killara. This was by far my favorite vineyard!! This vineyard creates Italian styled wines. Unfortunately I did not get to meet the owners due to their being a wedding on the property that day, but I wasn't to disappointed because the worker who showed us around had the most passion for wine making I had seen yet. 
The first wine was a 2015 Pinot Grigio
The core was a pale watery yellow with a pale straw yellow rim. Based on the color there did not appear to be any oak content. There were string aromas of honeysuckle and pear. On the palate though, there was a district almond flavor as well as the pear and green apple.  The wine was very soft but also heavy in weight. 

The next wine was a 2015 Moscato 
The rim was a light pale yellow and there was a watery yellow care. The wine appeared light bodied and to have no oak contact. There were floral aromas and intense dried apricot aromas. On the palate there were flavors of apricots, peach and honey. There also was some added texture from bubbles. I really enjoyed this wine and ended up buy a bottle before leaving.
The final wine was a 2011 Sangiovesethe rim was a cranberry color and the core was a deep cherry red. There were stron aromas of raspberry cherry and spice. The palate had intense cherry and raspberry flavors and along with some spice. Also there was a strange oak flavor with sawdust tannins.
Like I said this was my favorite vineyard. When the worker noticed I was taking notes her quickly came over and started explaining more about the wines to me. He would tell me to look for certain smells and flavors. The noted that the use french oak and what characteristics that would give which wines. You could tell that he really knew what hen was talking about and really cared about what he was doing. He was also more than helpful answering any of my questions.  This added so much to the wine tasting experience!!! 
~Karli 


Someday i wouldn't mind going back there because of how nice everyone was there, and the wines were very very good too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment